My Truck
    Chevrolet

2011 chevy duramax fuel mileage and exhaust fluid

Die hard chevy man... I got the 2011 duramax.. Hate the exhaust fuel thing.. Did the chip thing.. It works great, but still terrible fuel mileage... 16.0 or so, on a good day.. Just turned 31k.. Got any ideas.. And when are we gonna get a way to bypass this stupid exhaust fuel crap!!!!!!

My Truck
    Chevrolet
    A lot of folks in the heavy truck community have found all sorts of ways to bypass EGR's and DPF's in semi's, but the DEF thing is, I'm afraid, here to stay. It is tied in too closely with the ECM programming. A lot of the folks that were in the emission device removal game for diesels really got their nose slapped by the EPA recently. Bully Dog, PDI, and others had to back off considerably. You might find a rogue shop that would do some midnight changes, but you are probably going to be stuck with the DEF thing.

Actually, the DEF thing is not a bad idea. It allowed the OEM's to dial back on the EGR, which in turn, is also causing fewer regens on the DPF's. If any of this emission junk can be said to be not a bad idea, it is the DEF game. It is being talked about, that within the next few years, everything that has been piled on the engines themselves will be able to be removed, with only the downstream stuff like DEF and DPF doing all the emission work. That will make for the OEM's being able to really tweak these engines for power and mpg.

Does seem strange that you are only getting 16 mpg on a good day. I know several semi operators that are running new 13L and 15L engines with all the DEF/DPF stuff on them and getting over 8 mpg.... and that is with gross weights up to 80,000 lb. In comparison, if your pickup was getting the same efficiency, it would be getting 80 mpg! I would have your pickup looked at by a reputable diesel shop. There are so many things that can cause mpg loss.
    Last edited by Copperhead; 07-21-2013 at 05:24 PM.
    Hey there, VA, what do ya' say? How many vets did you kill today?

My Truck
    Mack
    take it back to the dealer before the warranty runs out, by the way what gear in the rear end and does it have the overdrive Allison transmission?

My Truck
    89 C70 CHEV/11 3500HD 6.6 DURAMAX
    here's a pic of my 2011 6.6 dmax,the best so far is 17.2..which only lasted one day...it runs at 13.2-13.4 most of the time
    Attachment 19
    Attached Images Attached Images
    no fuel,like an old fuel,burn wood

My Truck
    GMC
    Copperhead, morning..... How about explaining what the acronyms mean, for us dummies.... I don't have a clue what your response was in post #2...

My Truck
    GMC
    i have a 2006 2500hd cc duramax. i put the banks exhaust and there intake air box and scoop on. they work very good plus i use the superchips programmer. I have 110,000 miles and im getting 22mpg around town. maybe your alittle hard on the foot, let it breakin . its still a baby at 31k..